A frittata is one of my favourite items to make for both breakfast and dinner. It’s easy and versatile – packed with vegetables, carbohydrates, protein and fibre. I usually make my frittatas with whatever vegetables I have on hand, which means that I’ve tried a whole bunch of various combinations over the years. This one is my absolute favourites!
Okay, but what is a frittata you may ask? A frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche. Enriched with meats (optional!), vegetables and cheese!
- ready in under 50 minutes
- so nutrient dense – a little goes a long way!
- works for any meal – breakfast, lunch or dinner
- suitable for babies, toddlers, kids and adults!
Ingredients for Cheesy Vegetable Frittata
My favourite combination of ingredients:
- Cubed Potatoes: If I have time, I like to cut up fresh potatoes. When I’m short on time I like to use the frozen breakfast hashbrowns
- Cottage Cheese: Super high in protein, with limited flavour! A great addition to add density to your frittata
- Basil: If you can get your hands on fresh basil, do it! The flavour compliments the frittata so well.
Cheesy Vegetable Frittata
- Prep Time: 20 MINUTES
- Cook Time: 40 MINUTES
- Total Time: 1 hour
A frittata is one of my favourite items to make for both breakfast and dinner. It’s easy and versatile – packed with vegetables, carbohydrates, protein and fibre. I usually make my frittatas with whatever vegetables I have on hand, which means that I’ve tried a whole bunch of various combinations over the years. This one is my absolute favourite!
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 cup cubed potatoes or hashbrowns
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 10-inch skillet or baking dish
- Get started on the vegetables – cut the broccoli into florets and steam until tender.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil over medium heat and add to that the onions, peppers, mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add in the diced potatoes (hash browns) and tomatoes along with salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until tender.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the eggs and cottage cheese to a blender and mix until frothy (10-15 seconds).
- Assemble the frittata – add 1/2 the egg mixture to the bottom of the greased skillet.
- Add the steamed broccoli, sauted vegetables and hash browns.
- Next, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the vegetables along with spinach and basil.
- Pour the remaining egg mixture on top and give the vegetables a little poke so they are mostly covered in the egg mixture.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes. You want to make sure the centre has puffed but is fully cooked.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Add sour cream or greek yogurt along with salsa and avocado for some extra flavour!
- Category: MAINS
- Method: BAKE
- Cuisine: ITALIAN
Keywords: frittata, cheese, vegetables, breakfast, plant protein, high in protein, nutrient dense