Mexican Chocolate Donuts
The most perfectly baked chocolate donuts.
A delicious oven baked donut with a pillowy soft texture without all the extra mess and deep frying hassle! They are perfectly sweet and so fun to make. The spices compliment the chocolate so well.
As with just about every donut, these donuts are best eaten the day they are made. If you do happen to have leftovers, you can keep at room temperature for a few days or store in the fridge for up to a week!
A few tidbits about the ingredients:
Cocoa Powder — I do find the type of cocoa powder you use will change the chocolate flavour. I’ve tried a few different ones and my absolute favourite is Rodelle Cocoa Powder
Milk — I’ve tried both cow’s milk and plant based milk and either work.
Spices — I know it seems bizarre to add cayenne to sweet donuts, but trust me! The combination of cinnamon, chili powder and cayenne adds the most perfect compliment of flavours.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk (can use plant based as well)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard sized donut pan or use silicon molds Donut Pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
3. In a small bowl, whisk egg, milk, melted butter, vinegar and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.
4. Transfer mixture into a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in the corner. Pipe the batter into the donut molds, filling 2/3 of the way.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the donut comes out clean. Allow to cool bnefore adding chodolate drizzle.
1. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl, melt for 20 seconds, stir, melt for 20 seconds – continue this until chocolate reaches a nice smooth consistency.
2. Drizzle over donuts with a spoon, be generous! Add sprinkles on top and enjoy.
Honey Orange Hemp Muffins
These Honey Orange Hemp muffins have become a family favorite. They are moist, flavorful and provide a solid dose of nutrients!
Sheet Pan Tomato Greek Bowls
These Sheet Pan Tomato Greek Bowls are a great way to get ahead of weekday meal prep. Comes together in 20 minutes, full of flavour and checks all the boxes - fat, fibre and protein.
Fudgy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Box Cookies
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Box Cookies are loaded with delicious bites of peanut butter chipits, moist cake-like texture and sweet peanut butter drizzle! The best part? They come together in under 30 minutes using only one bowl and five ingredients!