Sweet & Salty popcorn has to be one of my top 5 favourite snacks. The perfect mix of buttery sweet mixed with the zip of salt! I had to figure out a way to bring this treat home!
While this recipe takes a few steps to complete – it’s well worth the effort – not to mention the delicious smell that accompanies it. This sweet & salty treat makes a delicious addition to any dessert or appetizer spread. It also works well as a party favour or little gift!
- 1 cup un-popped kernels
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup mixed nuts
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line large baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Pop your popcorn – I like to use an air popper, but you can also use store bought or cook in a pot on the stove. 1 cup of kernels yields approximately 14-16 cups of popcorn.
3. Spread approximately 10 cups of popcorn on the baking tray – enough to line the tray without too much overlap. Leave the remaining popcorn in a large bowl, add in 1/2 tsp sea salt.
4. In a sauce pan over medium-high heat add in the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. Whisk the mixture until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved, 3-5 minutes. The mixture should be bubbly and simmering.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp sea salt and baking soda. The baking soda will cause some bubbling – at this point the mixture should start to become light and fluffy. Continue whisking until you’ve reached a nice smooth, semi thick consistency.
6. Pour caramel sauce over the popcorn and mix around to coat – work quickly!
7. Place popcorn into the oven for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and toss the popcorn around. Sprinkle over the mixed nuts. Back into the oven for 15 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and toss popcorn. Place back into oven for final 15 minutes. (popcorn cooks for 45 minutes total).
10. Combine caramel coated popcorn with regular salted popcorn. Sprinkle with a little more salt and enjoy!
**store popcorn in an air tight container for 3-5 days!