Hearty, healthy and so flavourful!
This super comforting meal is so full of flavour and packs a huge punch of nutrients. While we don’t eat strictly plant based at home, I do like to change it up and ditch the meat once in awhile. This is a great example of a meatless dish that is still loaded with protein and bonus – fibre!
Don’t be overwhelmed by the lengthy list of ingredients. This recipe is the perfect Sunday “low & slow” simmer all day type of summer. It makes a huge portion so you will have plenty of leftovers for the week!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 full head of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock (I prefer Better Than Bouillon – so flavourful!)
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- splash worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups parmesan, finely grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- fresh basil
- pinch of chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
- spaghetti noodles
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and chopped garlic. Sauté until soft.
TIP! To create a nice meaty texture, use a food processor to chop vegetables.
2. Add in the vegetable stock, canned diced tomatoes, marinara sauce, tomato paste, red wine and lentils. Add in thyme, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, worcestershire, chili flakes (optional) and generous amounts of salt & pepper.
3. Bring sauce down to a low simmer, stirring occasionally for one to two hours.
4. Stir in the parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Continue cooking for 30 more minutes. Taste for flavour.
4. While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until just tender – 8-10 mins. Drain.
5. Dish up the pasta, scooping generous amounts of sauce on top. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil! To add to the nutrition profile of the dish you can sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
Honey Orange Hemp Muffins
These Honey Orange Hemp muffins have become a family favorite. They are moist, flavorful and provide a solid dose of nutrients!
Sheet Pan Tomato Greek Bowls
These Sheet Pan Tomato Greek Bowls are a great way to get ahead of weekday meal prep. Comes together in 20 minutes, full of flavour and checks all the boxes - fat, fibre and protein.
Fudgy Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Box Cookies
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Box Cookies are loaded with delicious bites of peanut butter chipits, moist cake-like texture and sweet peanut butter drizzle! The best part? They come together in under 30 minutes using only one bowl and five ingredients!